Three days in Singapore to taste Chilli Crab
18.05.2014 26 °C
We left Sydney on May 18 to do a short trip covering Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau. This time it is going to be only the two of us, I and Mala. Malisha cannot take leave and Amila and Sumali have just returned from their holiday trips. We were not planning to go anywhere, but suddenly, the opportunity arose to make a short trip to exotic Singapore and Hong Kong.
We booked the tickets from Singapore Air Lines and decided to spend three days in Singapore before going to Hong Kong.
For the Sydney/Singapore leg, we were lucky to get two good seats on the upper deck of the 380 which has more leg room. The flight was at 11:15AM on 18th Sunday. Malisha dropped us at the airport. The flight was on time, but it took unusually long to land in Singapore. When we came out of the airport and came to our Holiday Inn hotel, it was already 7:30PM. We were planning to go for dinner with Prasanna and his wife who live in Singapore. We cancelled it and decided to go with him for dinner on Tuesday. Our hotel booking included Executive lounge access in the hotel. We were eligible for short snacks from1:00 to 4:00PM, then evening cocktail from 6:00 to 8:00PM. We just had 30 minutes to have our cocktail. We sent out luggage to our room on the fifth floor and went straight to the executive lounge. The waiter who was serving cocktail was from Kandy, Sri Lanka. He is a young boy doing a hospitality course in Singapore. He made two Singapore Slings for us. Each one of us had a plate full of snacks and we did not have to go out for dinner. After going to our room and changing our clothes, we walked down to the Orchard road and had a short walk to get ourselves oriented to the new environment. It was getting close to 10:00PM and all the shopping malls were in the process of closing. We were not hungry to have any more food. We found that there was heavy rain during the day, and the air was hot and humid even at that time.
The hotel is in a central location conveniently located, just a short walk to the Orchard road and the shopping centres. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Inside the hotel, with air conditioning, you feel quite comfortable, but the outside air is hot even in the evening. The humid was high making us sweaty. One good thing was the hotel laundry does two items of your clothes per day free. Our package also included free internet and breakfast.
I like to include some tips to first time travelers to Singapore. Take note of the following points:
1. Singapore is a great place for shopping. If you are looking for quality shopping, then the shopping malls in the Orchard road are the best places to shop.
2. If you are looking for comparatively cheap shopping options, then there are several places. One is the Bugis Street market. This place has cheaper clothes and cheap items suitable for presents etc. Second place is Mustafa Centre. Mustafa Centre started as a small shop and within several years has expanded to become a very big shopping centre. They have a huge range of items to suit your purse. They are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
3. There are many places you can visit while you are in Singapore. Santosa Island is a very popular place to visit. The other places of interest are: Singapore National park and Orchid garden, Singapore Flyer, Jurong Bird Park, Zingapore Zoo night Safari , Marina Bay Garden night light show.
4. While in Singapore, do not forget to eat Singapore Chilli crab and Pepper crab. Some of the big hotels have dinner menus with crabs. You can also get them in Singapore Hawker markets. The real authentic Chilli crabs are found in East Coast.
5. Singapore can be very hot during day time. Evenings are cooler and pleasant. Do your shopping during day time in air conditioned malls and visit places in the night or in the evening. Shops are normally open from 10:00AM to 10:00PM.
6. When you are in Singapore, it is fashionable to visit Raffles Hotel and have a Singapore Sling. This is a cocktail drink originally created in Raffles Hotel. If you are travelling in Singapore Airlines and want to try it free, ask for a Singapore Sling from the air hostess.